Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, February 10, 2014

First Tutorial Make Your Own Needlecraft Valentine's Day Card

     I'm trying out my first tutorial on a Valentine's Day card I made for my husband. Every year since we were teenagers I've made him a card. Usually the kids and I get together and draw and color cards. This will be his first needlecrafted card.

 Materials

  • heavy card stock or pre-made blank card
  • floss 
  • design of your choice
  • nice stationary for the inside of card
  • glue for paper
  • materials for needlecrafting (needle, scissors, etc.)

     I chose card stock and cut it down to 9 1/4 inches by 6 1/4 inches.

  I made my pattern from overlapping a heart I had drawn. You can design something simple, or just write the word love. I used a pencil and drew right on the card. You may want to practice first. Pencil markings tend to show even after using an eraser.                               


After the design is drawn on the card I use the needle I plan to stitch with and puncture holes along the design. Try to space the holes out evenly. 

I stitched the heart in the center first using pink floss and stitching with a back stitch. I then did the purple heart next using the back stitch, but when I came to where the hearts overlap I went under the pink stitch. I did the same for the blue heart.


After I stitched the hearts I used a piece of premium stationary and cut it down to the same size as the card. I then used paper edgers to cut a 1/2 cm off that. 


I then used Rubber Cement and glued the stationary to the seam only. I use Rubber Cement because it doesn't leave any traces of glue. It has a nice finished look without looking goopy or wet where the glue is. I'm sure there are other glues to use, I would test them out first. By using the glue in the seam only the receiver can still see the uniqueness of the card.




Entwined Hearts Card


There you have it! A nice needlecrafted Valentine's Day card made from the heart!


Now my first tutorial is finished. If you have any questions just leave a comment!

                                                      -Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment